He found __?__ entertaining to attend the gathering. (it vs himself)

riroriro

Korean, Korea
(** SORRY! I MADE A TYPO IN THE TITLE!!!! )

Hello,

I found this question from my English grammar workbook, and I really couldn't get the explanation. Please help me.

Question asks,

"He found ______ entertaining to attend the gathering."
what is the right answer for the blank? (A) himself (B) it

I thought the answer is (A) himself because we often say "He found himself enjoying the party."
I get "He found it entertaining to attend the gathering" is the answer, but I don't know why 'himself' can't be in that blank. The answer sheet said it is because "entertaining" can't be a complement for "himself". Why can't it?

Please, anyone help me :(

• Glenfarclas

English (American)
    "Entertainment" means causing or giving entertainment. I suppose you could say something like, "In my opinion, they ought to invite me to their party -- I consider myself very entertaining", meaning that I believe I would entertain other people if I went to the party. But that's not a logical meaning in the example from your workbook, and it is made grammatically impossible by the following phrase "... to attend the gathering."

riroriro

Korean, Korea
    "Entertainment" means causing or giving entertainment. I suppose you could say something like, "In my opinion, they ought to invite me to their party -- I consider myself very entertaining", meaning that I believe I would entertain other people if I went to the party. But that's not a logical meaning in the example from your workbook, and it is made grammatically impossible by the following phrase "... to attend the gathering."

Now I see it! :) Thank you!