he guilt your addiction causes others

SuprunP

Ukrainian & Russian
Some people believe that conquering addiction starts with your becoming aware of the anger and pain your addiction causes loved ones, and if you’ve been unaware, of course this knowledge helps. Often, however, an intervention doesn’t teach anyone anything new, and the best way to get rid of the guilt your addiction causes others is to get even more fucked-up. Then you find yourself getting sober for others instead of for yourself, which allows you to hold them responsible for keeping you sober, and justifies getting high again when they disappoint you.
(F*ck Feelings; M. Bennett)

Would you be so kind as to tell me whether I have correctly understood it to mean 'other people feel guilty because of your addiction'?

Thanks.

• Barque

Tamil
    Yes, it sounds like it refers to the guilt that others feel because of your addiction but I haven't really understood why others may feel guilt. I suppose it'd be clear to someone who reads more of that passage.

wandle

English - British
    There must be a lacuna here. The meaning needs to be: 'the guilt you feel for the pain your addiction causes others'.

Loob

English UK
    It looks as though a couple of words may have been missed out: perhaps it should have been "... the guilt about the pain ...".

Cross-posted with wandle and agreeing with him:).

Barque

Tamil
    Yes, I think Wandle and Loob are right. I was wondering if that could be the case but thought that it might refer to some complex thing like transferred guilt or perhaps the addict's family and friends worrying that they'd pushed him into addiction by not supporting him enough or something like that.:)

Loob

English UK
    Yes, it could have been that, Barque. But from a quick search through the Google Books text, the writer doesn't seem to raise the idea that relatives and friends might feel guilt.

< Previous | Next >