He had been dreaming to see for ages

frenchboy

England
I want to say:

I have just bought tickets for a match he had been dreaming to see for ages.

And I have:

Je viens d'acheter les billets pour un match qu'il avait été rêvé voir pendant très longtemps.

Is that correct?

Merci d'avance!

• Cath.S.

français de France
    I want to say:

I have just bought tickets for a match he had been dreaming to see for ages.

And I have:

Je viens d'acheter les billets pour un match qu'il avait été rêvé voir pendant très longtemps.

Is that correct?

Merci d'avance!
    Hi, do you mind if I ask you why you didn't write he has been dreaming to see?
    Thanks! :)

Moon Palace

French
    I agree with egueule, I am also surprised to see had been dreaming. Yet, on second thoughts, I believe it has to do with this dream which is now in the past, and would therefore suggest:
    Je viens d'acheter les billets pour un match qu'il rêvait de voir depuis très longtemps. (so that now his dream is clearly in the past, and before the time when I bought the tickets. The end of his dream being situated before an event which took place in the past, I suppose this is what justifies the use of the pluperfect here. But I'd appreciate to see this confirmed.)

Cath.S.

français de France
    I agree with egueule, I am also surprised to see had been dreaming. Yet, on second thoughts, I believe it has to do with this dream which is now in the past, and would therefore suggest:
    Je viens d'acheter les billets pour un match qu'il rêvait de voir depuis très longtemps. (so that now his dream is clearly in the past, and before the time when I bought the tickets. The end of his dream being situated before an event which took place in the past, I suppose this is what justifies the use of the pluperfect here. But I'd appreciate to see this confirmed.)
    :idea: "He" might be dead.
    => pour un match qu'il avait rêvé de voir pendant des siècles.

< Previous | Next >