he had surely worked himself up

sol_c

español argentina
"he had surely worked himself up into a state of confusion after the news of his relationship with her was out"
I can't understand the use of "had" in this sentence. why past perfect?

• Florentia52

Modwoman in the attic
    English - United States
    Please tell us where you found this sentence, sol_c, and provide some context. What is the previous sentence, for example?

sol_c

español argentina
    hello, there were no previous sentences, this was just an example to see how "to rub sb up the wrong way" is used.
    The example is related to a novel. In this case a boy is going out with another boy and he is in a state of confusion when the news of their relationship is out

Edinburgher

German/English bilingual
    I don't understand the link between rubbing somebody (not sb, please) up the wrong way and working oneself up into some state, unless you are investigating similar structures (verb + "up").

Presumably the context is about a situation after the working-up. So at this point the story is not telling us about the process of working up, but focuses on what happened next.

Loob

English UK
    If it's just an example sentence, then I can't see any reason for the student to use the past perfect where he did. It would be possible to use the past perfect in the second part of the sentence, by writing for example:
    He worked himself up into a state of confusion after the news of his relationship with her* had come out.

Can you ask the student why he chose that tense?
    ________

*Incidentally, the word "her" also looks wrong if, as you say, the story was about a boy in a relationship with another boy

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >