He had to carry out / perform / abandon his studies in the

peptidoglycan

Turkish
Because of some political difficulties, Martin Benson had to ____ his studies in the Balkans.

a) carry out
b) perform
c) predict
d) abandon
e) release
I saw the question in website of Turkish origin. The answer is given as (d). I agree that (d) is correct. But, to me, both a and b are fine as well grammatically and semantically. What do you think? Thanks.

• DonnyB

Sixties Mod
    English UK Southern Standard English
    Both (a) and (b) would be grammatically correct, although "perform...studies" is a bit strange and not really idiomatic.

The sentence seems to assume that the political difficulties were in the Balkans as well as Benson's studies, and so you need a choice which indicates that he was prevented from continuing with them. The only one that fits that context is (d).

peptidoglycan

Turkish
    Thanks, but we don't know where some political difficulties are there. It is a possibility that political difficulties are ongoing somewhere other than the Balkans. Isn't the following sentence fine?

Because of some political difficulties in Russia, Martin Benson had to carry out his studies in the Balkans.

Last edited:

DonnyB

Sixties Mod
    English UK Southern Standard English
    Thanks, but we don't know where some political difficulties are there. It is a possibility that political difficulties are ongoing somewhere other than the Balkans. Isn't the following sentence fine?

Because of some political difficulties in Russia, Martin Benson had to carry out his studies in the Balkans.
    Yes indeed. Going back to the original question, if you put that interpretation on it, either (a) or (b) would fit, but (d) wouldn't. It's quite a badly-worded question, in fact, to contain a possible ambiguity like that.

< Previous | Next >