he has given his "spiritual heritage" tour of the Capitol

< Previous | Next >

Irelia20150604

Chinese
Hi everyone! I don't understand the sentence "he has given his "spiritual heritage" tour of the Capitol". What does it mean?

the context is as follows:
===
Mr. Barton, an expert witness in a case about the public display of the Ten Commandments that is coming before the Supreme Court this week, said he has given his "spiritual heritage" tour of the Capitol more than a hundred times, for scores of Congressmen and thousands of visitors. The contents of articles, books and videos produced by his organization, WallBuilders, about the religious underpinnings of American history have echoed through Christian cable networks, magazines and pulpits around the country.

source: http://www.nytimes.com/2005/02/27/weekinreview/putting-god-back-into-american-history.html?_r=0

• Copyright

American English
    I assume you know what "giving a tour" means, i.e. conducting a tour, with you as the tour guide. In this case, it's a tour of the places that represent are part of the religious heritage of the nation's capital.

Irelia20150604

Chinese
    Hmmm... I knew what "giving a tour" means,but didn't know what "given his "spiritual heritage" tour of the Capitol" means. With your explanation, I think I get a better understanding. Could I literally understand it as "he has led people to visit the the Capitol's (=the American capital's) religious heritage" ?

Copyright

American English
    "Given" is just a form of the verb "to give":

He gave his tour.
    He is giving his tour.
    He has given his tour many times.

Yes, your understanding is correct.

Florentia52

Modwoman in the attic
    English - United States
    Not quite. "He has led people to visit the Capitol's religious heritage" sounds as though he has persuaded people to make such visits on their own. (Also, one can not "visit" a heritage.)

Mr. Barton has conducted ("has given") tours of spiritually significant places in the Capitol.

[Cross-posted with Copyright]

sound shift

English - England
    In this thread we've got "capital" and "Capitol". I believe that "Capitol", the word that appears in the quoted text, means "United States Capitol Building", while "capital" in a US context would mean the city of Washington, DC. As I understand it, Mr Barton's tour is confined to the Capitol Building.

pob14

American English
    A quick check of Barton's website confirms that sound shift and the Times are correct; the tours are of the Capitol building, not the capital city.

< Previous | Next >