he has his way with her

< Previous | Next >

thesoul

Brazilian portuguese
I was reading something over the internet and I came across this expression, but I still don't understand what it means. Can it be something like "he agrees with her" ? because the context I read shows up this kind of meaning but I'm not sure. Unfortunately I can't remember exactly in which website I had read it from. Thanks.

Last edited:
  • heypresto

English - England
    Without the context it's not possible to be certain, but usually 'to have his way with her' would mean that he had sex with her, and probably against her will.

I've not heard the expression meaning anything like 'he agrees with her' before. Would the meaning I've given also make sense in context?

It would be surprising if both inferrences were viable. :confused:

Last edited:

Crockett

US English
    Like heypresto said, more context would be necessary. However, my first impression of 'to have one's way with a girl' means to take advantage of the girl either through one's own power, good-looks, money, etc. I think in Portuguese, this is what a "conquistador barato" does with women.

thesoul

Brazilian portuguese
    At last, the context I found it.

"R. Lee Ermey, an actor in Kubrick's film Full Metal Jacket, claimed that Kubrick phoned him two weeks before his death to express his despondency over Eyes Wide Shut. "He told me it was a piece of shit", Ermey said in Radar magazine, "and that he was disgusted with it and that the critics were going to "have him for lunch". He said Cruise and Kidman had their way with him - exactly the words he used." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eyes_Wide_Shut

Last edited:

Crockett

US English
    "R. Lee Ermey, an actor in Kubrick's film Full Metal Jacket, claimed that Kubrick phoned him two weeks before his death to express his despondency over Eyes Wide Shut. "He told me it was a piece of shit", Ermey said in Radar magazine, "and that he was disgusted with it and that the critics were going to "have him for lunch". He said Cruise and Kidman had their way with him - exactly the words he used." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eyes_Wide_Shut
    Then in this quote, 'have their way with him' means they took advantage of him. "Ele disse que Cruise e Kidman levaram a melhor e se aproveitaram dele."

Last edited:

Parla

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    "He said Cruise and Kidman had their way with him - exactly the words he used."
    The phrase usually means what Heypresto says it means (post #2). Here, Kubrick was using the phrase metaphorically; he evidently felt for some reason that he was taken advantage of by Tom Cruise and Nicole Kidman (the stars of "Eyes Wide Shut"), that he was (artistically) raped.

< Previous | Next >