He has to/had to stay at home to look after her.

< Previous | Next >

brian&me

Chinese - China
Hi,everyone.

This is a test question.

Use the correct form of the verb in the brackets to fill in the blank.

Li Lei’s mother hurt her leg. He _____ stay at home to look after her. (have to)

The answer key is ‘had to’, but I think ‘has to’ is also OK because there’s no more context.

What do you say?

Thanks in advance.

• lingobingo

English - England
    Li Lei’s mother hurt her leg. He [therefore] had to stay at home to look after her.
    Li Lei’s mother has hurt her leg. He [therefore] has to stay at home to look after her.

Hermione Golightly

British English
    It's not a good test because eitheewr is possible. But, considering that it is a test, I feel sure they want 'had to stay at home' to match the past of 'hurt'. Since 'hurt' is irregular 'hurt, hurt, hurt' I think a common mistake would be to to forget that hurt can be simple past and assume 'hurt' was a simple present.

Englishmypassion

India - Hindi
    Li Lei’s mother hurt her leg. He [therefore] had to stay at home to look after her.
    Li Lei’s mother has hurt her leg. He [therefore] has to stay at home to look after her.
    Yes, that's a good point as far as BE is concerned, but we should remember that AE usually/often uses the simple past in that context, hence Copyright's answer in post #2.

< Previous | Next >