He helped me with mowing the lawn

< Previous | Next >

fangoso

spanish-Venezuela
Topic sentence: He helped me with mowing the lawn.
Added by Cagey, moderator

Hello eveyone;

According to Oxford Learner's Dictionaries this construction is possible: help somebody with something Jo will help us with some of the organization, So I was wondering if, since after "with" there is supposed to be a noun and mowing in this case is in gerund (which works as a noun), such a construction was possible.

That's all. I hope you guys can help me.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • GreenWhiteBlue

USA - English
    "He helped me mow the lawn" means that he and I worked together in mowing the lawn. (I rode/pushed the lawnmower for a period of time, then he did the same.)

"He helped me with mowing the lawn" can mean that, but it can also have a broader meaning. For example, I ordinarily had hired someone to mow my lawn, but then I lost my job and on my own could no longer afford to do that. He paid the landscaper to do the work. Another example might be that he gave me advice about how to make my lawnmower work more efficiently when I used it, etc.

wellsd60

English
    I don't know if "helped with mowing the lawn" is technically correct English, maybe so. It is certainly something you might hear someone say. I think it is an awkward construction in either case. As GreenWhiteBlue points out, its meaning is a little ambiguous. "He helped me mow the lawn" or "He helped me by mowing the lawn" is clearer as to who was doing the mowing.

< Previous | Next >