... he himself was among the rest.

abiona

Chine
In the following sentence:"The great part of the members attended the meeting, he himself was among the rest."

Did he attend the meeting or not? how do I understand "among the rest"?

• roxcyn

USA
    American English [AmE]
    What was the sentence that follows? Where there two groups of people? A little background would help. Thank you :).

chauncy

English; Australia
    I would say he did not attend the meeting.

But I think the sentence should read:

"The greater part of the members attended the meeting; he himself was among the rest."

In the sentence, the members have been divided into two groups:

(1) the greater part, who attended the meeting

(2) the rest (or remainder), who did not attend.

abiona

Chine
    Sorry, there is no context but a single sentence.According to the book "English Words and Expressions often Mistranslated" published by Foreign language teaching and research press, Beijing, "among the rest" means among the formerly-mentioned group. I found it wierd.

chauncy

English; Australia
    Well I have never heard of this meaning of 'among the rest' and if it is correct then I agree it is weird and the opposite of what you would expect it to mean.

To make the example more concrete, let's put some numbers to it. I believe the following is correct English usage:

There are twenty (20) members.

Of these twenty members, fifteen (15) attended the meeting. These fifteen members comprised 'the greater part' of the membership.

The five (5) members who did not attend comprised 'the rest'.

< Previous | Next >