he informed me (who is "he"?)

Hi,
In consequence of this I sent a request to the Cultural Attache at the Yemeni Embassy requesting that my scholarship be transferred to a university that does not require the TOEFL certificate for the continuance of my studies. Unfortunately, he informed me that my file had already been forwarded to the Saudi Ministry of Higher Education and that I could not expect a response sooner than three months hence. What does a pronoun "he" refer to in that paragraph above? Is it referred to the Cultural Attache at the Yemeni Embassy as a department?

Cheers,

• Copyright

American English
    We often seem to be missing source and context in your posts. Is this something you wrote, something written to you, or something else? And if you're quoting written material, you need to name the source.

Please don't forget these facts in the future.

Copyright

American English
    This is some my friend's a modified message for my message which I gave him to do proofreading it.
    This is fairly impenetrable for me (not understandable). Did you write this passage you're asking about? If so, are you asking is "he" refers to the person you want it to refer to?

This is fairly impenetrable for me (not understandable). Did you write this passage you're asking about? If so, are you asking is "he" refers to the person you want it to refer
    to?
    This is the message which one of my friends sent to me after he did proofreading it. And my question was does "he" refer to the Cultural Attache at the Yemeni Embassy as a department or a person? Because if "he" is referred to the person then should have been "the Yemeni Cultural Attaché OR the Cultural Counselor at the Cultural Attaché at the Yemeni Embassy instead of the Cultural Attache at the Yemeni Embassy because on a technical rather than an English point, "The Yemeni Cultural Attaché" is usually a person rather than a department.

I hope I conveyed my question.

heypresto

English - England
    When you were informed by the Cultural Attache, who signed the letter?

Surely the signatory is who 'he' refers to? If a person signed in his own name and title, then we are talking about a person; if it was 'signed' on behalf of the department, then it's the department.

But to me, I agree with Copyright - in your original question, 'he' can only refer to a person.

Panjandrum, would you let me know where is the changing of the topic,Please?
    I don't want to initiate a new thread because I have don't quite much space in my Threads Folder. It contains 97 Subscribed Threads. And I think the maximum certain is a hundred subscribed threads. So, please reply on this last question that is as follows can I say " the Yemeni Cultural Attaché at the Yemeni Embassy OR the Cultural Counselor at the Cultural Attaché at the Yemeni Embassy" instead of the Cultural Attache at the Yemeni Embassy because on a technical rather than an English point, "The Yemeni Cultural Attaché" OR "the Cultural Counselor" is usually a person rather than a department.
    On the other words, "he" in that example refers to what I remarked with red in these phrases as a person, and the rest of both of them refers to the department.
    the Yemeni Cultural Attaché at the Yemeni Embassy.
    the Cultural Counselor at the Cultural Attaché at the Yemeni Embassy.
    the Cultural Attache at the Yemeni Embassy.

I hope you understand my situation.

heypresto

English - England

From an English language or grammar point of view, any of these is OK. As to which one 'he' refers to, is it not obviously the third one - the Cultural Attache at the Yemeni Embassy - as, according to your first post, it was he that you sent a request to? If there is still any doubt, it might be a good idea to ask the friend who did the proofreading for you.

If you are asking us which of the posts you should direct your correspondence to, or what is the correct form of address for the particular person you want to write to, maybe the Yemeni Embassy could help?

From an English language or grammar point of view, any of these is OK. As to which one 'he' refers to, is it not obviously the third one - the Cultural Attache at the Yemeni Embassy - as, according to your first post, it was he that you sent a request to? If there is still any doubt, it might be a good idea to ask the friend who did the proofreading for you.

If you are asking us which of the posts you should direct your correspondence to, or what is the correct form of address for the particular person you want to write to, maybe the Yemeni Embassy could help?
    Thanks a lot,I would like to say you that my understanding is that what I remarked with red colour in those three phrases is refers to the person, but the other of both of them refers to the a department. Am I right?
    King regards,

heypresto

English - England
    The first and the third are people. I've not heard of a 'Cultural Counselor' but he or she may well exist. And in the second one, I'm not sure if 'Cultural Attache' can mean a department. You, yourself concluded this above.

As I suggested in my last post, the Yemeni Embassy should be able to answer all these questions for you . . .

< Previous | Next >