He is also in fault.

< Previous | Next >
  • entangledbank

English - South-East England
    We say 'at fault', not 'in fault'. ('In fault' is an older usage, but I hardly think anyone would say it today.) It is less common than your first sentence, which is how we would normally say it.

Lun-14

Banned
    Hindi
    Hi, Entangled.
    We say "in the wrong". Why do we not say "at the fault"? Please enlighten me on that,
    Thanks!

Keith Bradford

English (Midlands UK)
    I'm not sure that Glenfarclas has hit on the right answer; "the wrong" looks like a noun to me.

My answer would be that English has been developing for a thousand years and that this has become a fixed expression. Live with it. :rolleyes:

Lun-14

Banned
    Hindi
    What makes you think they shouldn't require different constructions? :confused:
    I asked this question (#4) because both of these are same:

I am in the wrong.
    I am at fault.

So I wondered why not it is "at the fault" like "in the wrong".

PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    We say "in the wrong". Why do we not say "at the fault"?
    In English there are many of adverbial phrases which are composed of {preposition + noun} In all cases, the noun is uncountable and thus does not have an article:

He dug the ground by spade.
    He hit the man in anger
    He did it on purpose
    He was at fault
    It was beyond imagination, etc., etc.

You should learn every one of them.... :D

Hermione Golightly

British English
    less common, but not entirely incorrect?
    I'd mark it wrong. I don't say it; I have never heard it said or even read it. In the real world of modern usage it is not acceptable.

#4. We do not say 'at the fault'. It isn't good idiomatic English. 'At fault' isn't the same as 'faulty'.

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    I think the OP misunderstood what entangled was saying there. I think he was saying that "He is at fault" is less common that "It's his fault".

< Previous | Next >