He is running (around). / He is jogging.

Vronsky

Russian - Russia
Hi there,
Let's say your roommate went jogging. Afterwards someone else asks you about your roommate: "What is he doing?" The answers I'm able to come up with are:
1) He is jogging.
2) He is running.
3) He is running around.​

Could you tell me if these answers are correct?

• Chasint

English - England
    1 and 2 are correct.

"running around" usually applies to children, for example when they are running haphazardly in the school yard.

Egmont

English - U.S.
    Runners, the "letters" columns of running publications, and online running discussion groups often discuss the difference between "running" and "jogging." There is no clear answer. There is one point that nearly everyone agrees on: people who are serious about this activity prefer to call it running, not jogging.

Vronsky

Russian - Russia
    Thank you very much, everyone.

I asked the question, because to me the second "He is running" meant "He is running from point A to point B." Like,

'What is he doing?'
    'He is running.'
    'Yeah? Where is he running to?'

But when a person is jogging, they're not running in that way, that's not what they're doing. So I was inclined to add 'around' to express the idea that he is not running from point A to point B. So my question is in fact about the verb 'to run around'.

Last edited:

suzi br

English / England
    I would never use “to run around” for the sporty running that requires some PE kit.
    I use it in at least two idiomatic ways:
    1. To be busy on lots of activities. Maybe errands, maybe other jobs.
    2. Like kids in a playground/ field.