He is tall, as is his father.

stephenlearner

Chinese
Hi,

What does this sentence mean: "He is tall, as is his father."?
I have three options. Which one is closest to the true meaning?
A: He is tall, just like his father.
B: He is tall. So is his father.
C: He is as tall as his father.

Thanks a lot.

• Barque

Tamil
    Both options A and B reflect the intended meaning, with B possibly being a better fit.

C doesn't work as we don't know if they're the same height, only that they're both tall, meaning taller than average.

stephenlearner

Chinese
    What is the focus of the sentence "He is tall, as is his father"? Is the sentence primarily about him or his father? The sentence is from a dictionary.

natkretep

Moderato con anima (English Only)
    English (Singapore/UK), basic Chinese
    The focus is on the main clause 'He is tall', and the subordinate clause gives additional information, with perhaps the implication that he gets his height from his father.

Barque

Tamil
    Sentence A focuses on "He is tall", while B gives equal weight to "he" and "his father".
    You could be right. However for the purpose of your original question, which was "Which one (of these three options) is closest to the true meaning?", there isn't much difference.

stephenlearner

Chinese
    If there is a difference between A and B, then I can ask: Is A closer to the true meaning or is B closer to the true meaning? Actually, I don't know exactly what the sentence "He is tall, as is his father" means.

Barque

Tamil
    If there is a difference between A and B, then I can ask: Is A closer to the true meaning or is B closer to the true meaning?
    As I mentioned in #2, B is possibly a better fit.
    Actually, I don't know exactly what the sentence "He is tall, as is his father" means.
    It means: He's tall, just like his father also is tall. That's why I said B's better. Option A means: He's tall, and is similar to his father in this respect.

dojibear

English - Northeast US
    Actually, I don't know exactly what the sentence "He is tall, as is his father" means.
    Exactly:

1. He is tall
    2. His father is tall

That is the exact meaning of the sentence. The "as" clause replaces the subject of "is tall" with the subject "father". Compare this sentence:

I am tall, as is Donald Trump.

This is the same syntax. It says we are both tall.

stephenlearner

Chinese
    If I want to say, "He is tall, like his father", I can say "He is tall, like his father". If I want to say "He is tall; his father is tall too" I can say "He is tall; his father is tall too" or "He is tall; so is his father".

But in what context should I say "He is tall, as is his father"?

< Previous | Next >