he is/was lucky to get that good job

brian&me

Chinese - China
Hi, everyone.

This is a test question.

Use the suitable form of the verb in the brackets to fill in the blank.

He is lucky ____ (get) that good job.

The answer key is ‘to get’. I have no doubt about the answer key, but the tense of the sentence. I wonder if the sentence should be he was lucky to get that good job because that is one thing which happened in the past.

Thank.

• Scrawny goat

English - Ireland
    Hi, everyone.

This is a test question.

Use the suitable form of the verb in the brackets to fill in the blank.

He is lucky ____ (get) that good job.

The answer key is ‘to get’. I have no doubt about the answer key, but the tense of the sentence. I wonder if the sentence should be he was lucky to get that good job because that is one thing which happened in the past.

Thank.
    No. There is a perfectly correct option to work with ‘He is lucky...’ What are your thoughts on possible answers?

brian&me

Chinese - China
    Thanks, Scrawny.

These are some sentences from Longman Dictionary of Contemporary English, Oxford Advanced Learner’s English Dictionary and Collins Cobuild Advaced Learner's English Dictionary.

The children were lucky to survive the fire which destroyed their home.

She was lucky enough to be chosen for the team.

Chantal was lucky to be able to salvage her career.

I wonder why these sentences use the simple past tense and if they could use the simple present tense.

panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    If the context places the time of the event (that causes you to say something was lucky) more or less in the present or very immediate past, then present tense "He is lucky ..." is fine.

The particular example, "He is lucky to get that good job," suggests that he "got" the job very recently and indeed may not yet have started the job.

< Previous | Next >