He is white in color/he is white colored

English nerd

Hindi
My friend saw a guy,maybe a foreigner,so she was telling me(I found it a bit rude,though,but it is a doubt).
Hey, he is white in color.
Or
Hey he is white colored.

Is the use of "in color/white colored" natural?
Thank you:)
(Don't mind it,it's just a doubt)
Thank you:)

• Cenzontle

English, U.S.
    Describing someone I saw yesterday, I would say "He was...", not "He is..."
    Describing my visual impression of his color, I would say "He was very pale."
    "White" in describing a person is more like an assignment to a racial category.

entangledbank

English - South-East England
    We wouldn't say either of those, whether to describe a white (race) person, or anyone who was more pale-skinned than others, or anyone who was pale/white from fright.

Myridon

English - US
    The apple is red in color. It is actually the color red.
    He is white in color. No, he's rather pinkish beige with a bit of tan in color.

Additionally, we rarely say "in color" or "colored" when we do mean the actual color.

Packard

USA, English
    Uppercase C for "Caucasian", right?
    I never realized that until just now (and my spell checker died in these forums and no longer saves me from embarrassment).

You are correct. Here is an interesting article about it and apparently "Caucasian" is somewhat archaic.

Has ‘Caucasian’ Lost Its Meaning?

AS a racial classification, the term Caucasian has many flaws, dating as it does from a time when the study of race was based on skull measurements and travel diaries. It has long been entirely unmoored from its geographical reference point, the Caucasus region.

london calling

UK English
    'Caucasian' to me has always been a US term: all those TV series and films where the police talk about 'white Caucasian males'.:D

@EN. If your friend was referring to a white European and was expressing surprised at how white he was then "Look how white he is!" would work. I agree with the others that neither of your examples are natural or idiomatic, by the way.

Last edited:

Hermione Golightly

British English
    I have a feeling that your friend meant 'light-complexioned' or 'his complexion was very light'. She thought he might be a foreigner by the light tone of his skin. That would have to be relatively light. 'Complexion' is a term used to describe facial skin.

In many societies lighter skin tones or 'complexions' are regarded as more attractive and conferring higher social status.

Packard

USA, English
    I'm surprised that no one has mentioned "light-skinned" yet. That is another option.
    Fopr a white person in the USA that was "light-skinned" I would call them "fair skinned".

For a black person I would call it "light-skinned".

Of a black person with a very ligh skin color sometimes referred to as "would/could pass" as in "He could pass [for being white]." (He could claim he was white.)

LeaM

English - U.S.
    Another vote for the translations "light-skinned" and "light-complexioned."

< Previous | Next >