he led the steep climb toward...

chiarel

Italian
Hello!
Greg is driving his car. He's going out with a girl (who narrates in the first person).
"The restaurant must have been a favorite on the island, as the parking lot was jammed with cars. Outside, he led the steep climb toward what looked like an elaborate tree house perched on a hill."
I've some difficult in understanding this usage of led (lead). Maybe: He led (=drove) his car on the steep climb? But then why the words his car on are missing?
Or maybe he was walking (and was leading the girl): He led (accompanied) me (=the girl) on the steep climb? Why the words on are missing?
It's difficult to understand to me... Could you help me, please?
Thanks a lot
Chiarel

• Beryl from Northallerton

British English
    Thanks Beryl... According to you, maybe has the printer/the author dropped a word?
    I have no idea beyond rampant speculation, I'm sorry. But I thought you might like to know that you weren't alone in thinking it odd. Maybe, you're aware that the text is AE - so hold on, an answer may be here soon, but I doubt it.

Last edited:

PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    "The restaurant must have been a favorite on the island, as the parking lot was jammed with cars. Outside, he led the steep climb toward what looked like an elaborate tree house perched on a hill."

"The restaurant must have been a favorite on the island, as the parking lot was jammed with cars. [We parked the car in the parking lot and got out. Once] Outside [the parking lot], he led [= was the leader of the our party up] the steep climb toward what looked like an elaborate tree house perched on a hill."

The Prof

"The restaurant must have been a favorite on the island, as the parking lot was jammed with cars. [We parked the car in the parking lot and got out. Once] Outside [the parking lot], he led [= was the leader of the our party up] the steep climb toward what looked like an elaborate tree house perched on a hill."
    I can't believe I overlooked that possibility. Your signature line seems particularly appropriate right now! :D

Beryl from Northallerton

British English
    I can't believe I overlooked that possibility. Your signature line seems particularly appropriate right now! :D
    You say that, but it was all there for the taking in the OP (as per her question). He led the steep climb, makes it seem like he had an expeditionary force with him. The lot was jammed with cars makes it seem as though they had to look elsewhere to park. I think you're being too hard on yourself.

< Previous | Next >