He needs to rebuild his trust after I abandoned him

deltron

English (American)
Howdy! As for context, I was trying to make a joke about being out of town for a few days and having the neighbor take care of my cat. Since I got back, the cat hasn't been sleeping in his usual place in the kitchen but spends his time just outside the front door.

In a joking way, I wanted to say "He needs to rebuild his trust after I abandoned him," but then I realized I didn't know the German verb for "to abandon." I saw that for a child, the verb is "aussetzen" and for other things it can be "verlassen."

I assume "aussetzen" can be used for any things that could possibly die without your care, like pets or small children. If you abandon your family, I assume it would be "verlassen" and not "aussetzen."

Anyhow, my try would be "Er muss sein Vertrauen (in mich) neu aufbauen, nachdem ich ihn ausgesetzt habe." Er because he's a male cat.

Thanks in advance for any feedback!

• Uncle BBB

German
    I would say it with verlassen. Aussetzen is more on the street or in the woods. You take the animal somewhere and leave it there. If you go away, then it would be more like verlassen.

Frieder

Maybe you should try "im Stich lassen".

"Er muss sein Vertrauen (in mich) neu aufbauen, nachdem ich ihn im Stich gelassen habe."

or at greater length

"Er muss neues Vertrauen fassen, nachdem ich ihn so schändlich im Stich gelassen habe."

< Previous | Next >