He once said that he would no more part with the idea...

Discussion in 'Italian-English' started by Laryssa, Sep 24, 2010.

1. Laryssa New Member

Italian
    Hi everybody,

I am having troubles translating this sentence:

"He once said that he would no more part with the idea of property than with his teeth"

I thought about this translation:

"[Iuna volta disse che avrebbe difeso con i denti l’idea di proprietà][/I]"

2. Nerino Senior Member

Salento, Italy
    Italian
    Secondo me: "Una volta disse che avrebbe fatto a meno del concetto di proprietà piuttosto che dei suoi denti". Ciao! :)

3. Laryssa New Member

Italian
    Perfect!

Grazie :)

4. Leo57 Senior Member

Yorkshire
    UK English
    Let's rewrite it -
    He once said that he would not part with the idea of property than (he would part) with his teeth.
    In other words: He doesn't want to part with his teeth and he doesn't to part with his idea(s). or to put it another way: He wants to keep his ideas as much as he wants to keep his teeth.
    I'm not sure what the idea of property refers to, other than owing property. (Is it correct?)
    Ciao
    Leo:)

5. Laryssa New Member

Italian
    This is the whole sentence:

"He once said that he would no more part with the idea of property than with his teeth, while to another person, property is not a tooth, but a toothache."

This sentence is taken from a long text which is difficult to sum up in a few words, but the author speaks using many parallels and opposite images, so I guess that Leo is right. The first man doesn't want to part with the idea of property as well as he doesn't want to parti with his teeth, while the second really wants to get rid of this idea.

In this case, my translation would be right:

"Avrebbe difeso con i denti l'idea di properietà"

Or maybe I should find some synonym, but I got the general meaning.

6. Leo57 Senior Member

Yorkshire
    UK English
    To be honest, I couldn't decide if the Italian was saying the same as the English, that's why I stepped in! Sorry! :D We live and learn, anyway, having to translate it will set your teeth on edge!;) Good luck!
    Leo:)