He plays football everyday / every day

pixy33

persian
Topic sentence: He plays football everyday Vs He plays football every day
Added by Cagey, moderator

everyday or every day which one is used with simple present...

Last edited by a moderator:
  • pixy33

persian
    You haven't provided any complete sentences yet.
    He plays football everyday

He plays football every day

these are complete sentences ...
    My question is what is the difference ...
    Which one usually used with Simple Present Tense

Last edited by a moderator:

sdgraham

USA English
    "He plays football everyday" is not correct English." See post #2.

(When you fail to put the material you are asking about in the body of the text, it's easy to miss.)

Hermione Golightly

British English
    First, why do you think that we think they are not complete sentences?:(
    Edit: They are still not complete because they don't end with a full stop/ period.

I suggest you look up the single word 'everyday' to see what functions it has. Is it an adjective or a noun, an adverb or what?

'Every day' ( two words) is an adverbial expression of time.
    I'll leave it to you to work it out which you need. :)

Glenfarclas

English (American)
    My question : Which one usually used with Simple Present Tense?
    The Answer : "He plays football everyday" is not correct English." We use everyday not every day with Simple Present Tense .
    The problem is that you are asking the wrong question. In theory, you can use either term with the present tense. The difference is that "everyday" is an adjective and "every day" is an adverb.

"These are my everyday clothes." :tick: -- the sentence uses the simple present tense, but "everyday" is correct because it is used as an adjective for "clothes"
    "I wear these clothes everyday." :cross: -- incorrect, because you need an adverb there
    "I wear these clothes every day." :tick: -- correct, because "every day" modifies the verb "wear"

pixy33

persian
    The problem is that you are asking the wrong question. In theory, you can use either term with the present tense. The difference is that "everyday" is an adjective and "every day" is an adverb.

"These are my everyday clothes." :tick: -- the sentence uses the simple present tense, but "everyday" is correct because it is used as an adjective for "clothes"
    "I wear these clothes everyday." :cross: -- incorrect, because you need an adverb there
    "I wear these clothes every day." :tick: -- correct, because "every day" modifies the verb "wear"
    :thumbsup:

< Previous | Next >