He said to her, "Madam, .." [to indirect / reported speech]

Discussion in 'English Only' started by razakazmii, Feb 7, 2015.

1. razakazmii Senior Member

Pakistan
    Urdu
    Hello,

* He said to her, "Madam, my daughter forgot to send a medical certificate with her application." (Direct Form)

It says in my book that you have to omit this 'Madam' with 'respectfully' while converting into indirect speech. However, I converted it as,

* He said to her respectfully that her daughter had forgotten to (send/sent) a medical certificate with her application. (Indirect Form)

Which verb (sent/sent) do I have to use in above sentence. It is confusing me and no anything is written in my book that could clear my concept.

2. Truffula

Truffula Senior Member

English - USA
    He said to her respectfully that his daughter had forgotten to send a medical certificate with her application.

It is "to send" because that is the infinitive form.

She is his daughter because he said "my daughter" - if she had been Madam's daughter, he would have said "your daughter."

3. e2efour Senior Member

England (aged 75)
    UK English
    Only the main verb in a clause is changed in reported speech. You never change infinitive constructions, although you may need to change pronouns.

"I sometimes forget to switch off the lights before I go out."
    He said that he sometimes forgets to switch off the lights before he goes out.