He said we will move in 2025. [from past to present]

slovac

I would like to ask if I can. I have sentence: He said(in 1969) we would move in 2025.
I have informations that when someone is talking about future in past I use WOULD. Now I would like to ask when I know that future in past is also future in present, could I use following sentence?:
Now 2012: He said(in 1969), we will move in 2025.(still future also in present).
Thank for answering.

• Gavril

English, USA
    I would like to ask if I can. I have sentence: He said(in 1969) we would move in 2025.
    I have informations that when someone is talking about future in past I use WOULD. Now I would like to ask when I know that future in past is also future in present, could I use following sentence?:
    Now 2012: He said(in 1969), we will move in 2025.(still future also in present).
    Thank for answering.
    Hi Slovac,

I think that you have to use "would" in this case, because

1) "said" is in the past tense
    2) the other verb ("would") is part of a clause started by "said that"

Therefore, it would be correct to say: He said in 1969 that we would move in 2025.

However, it would be correct to use will in the following sentence:

According to what he said in 1969, we will move in 2025.

Last edited:

Loob

English UK
    Hi slovac

Normally, we backshift tenses in past-tense reported speech:
    He said: "We will move in 2025"
    > He said we would move in 2025.

But yes, when the action described is still in the future at the time the statement is reported, we can* still use "will" instead of "would":
    He said we will move in 2025.

*That said, we don't have to.

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    Here are a couple of threads that discuss this issue.

sequence of tenses: announced and will/would?

confirmed that a puma 'will' [tense?] (This one includes links to further threads.)

The conclusion is that both 'would' and 'will' are acceptable. You can follow the usual rule, as explained by Gavril and use 'would.' However, if you are talking about something that is still in the future, you can use 'will'. Sometimes this is preferable, as it makes clear that something still is in the future.

Added: Cross-posted with Loob. :)

< Previous | Next >