he scored me a softgame?

< Previous | Next >

ddubug

Korean
Hi,

I'm reading 'Guinea Pig Diaries' written by AJ Jacobs.

<At the time, the only way to buy the software was to line up outside
a certain midtown store at 6 A.M. I causally mentioned that if he
scored me a softgame, I'd dedicate my next book to him.>

I've looked up the dictionary, but 'score' has meaning of only 'mark, grade, win'...

Here, 'score me a softgame' sounds like 'if he gave me a chance to get
a softgame'...or just 'buy'....Am I right?

• pickarooney

English (Ireland)
    To 'score' is used to purchase drugs or other illicit wares. I think the author is asking his friend to go queue up and buy the game for him in return for a dedication.

I don't understand the word 'softgame'.

kdan

English - American
    In the US "to score" can be used sometimes interchangeably with "to get."
    Ex. I scored front row seats to the concert.
    Younger people are more likely to use it, so I guess you could consider it slang.

You're right, though. You could replace score with "buy" or "got."

panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    ... and "softgame" remains a mystery.
    I know it's not red in post#1, but the title of the thread is the phrase "scored me a softgame" :)
    Any suggestions about "softgame"?

Driven

USA/English
    "Score" is used to get something of value or something that other people didn't/couldn't get. It is also used as an exclamation. "I got the last pair of tickets to the play!" "Score!" I have never heard, "softgame" either but I'm thinking it might be slang for "software game"??

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    On the internet I find sites that offer downloads of softgames. They seem to be games that you can play on mobile devices. However, I am not certain that is their defining characteristic.

Maybe someone who plays them will tell us.

Copyright

American English
    My guess is that softgames is a combination of software and games. Beyond that generality, the term softgames could also spring from, or be reinforced by, or refer to (take your pick or choose all) the products of Japan's Hudson Soft Company, producer of a long list of games titles that are famous enough that even I, a non-gamer, have heard of many of them. (This is all speculation, as I'm sure you've gathered.)

< Previous | Next >