He shall not

vanessah

English - Canada
Hi there,
I am struggling with a line in a contract that need to be very clear.
It reads:
"At the termination of this contract, he shall not for a period of two years thereafter, do any of the following things:"

"Dès le résiliation du présent contrat il ne fera, pour une periode de deux ans par la suite, n'importe des choses qui suivent:"

??

• bobepine

Canada, English & French
    J'ai souvent vu shall pour traduire le sens de devoir, c. à d. dans ce cas, dès la résiliation du présent contrat, il ne devra pas:

VanOo

Français - France
    Dès la résiliation du présent contrat, il ne devra pas, et ce durant une période de deux ans, réaliser aucune de ces actions :

Sorry i'm no expert in law !

LivingTree

Banned
    English - Canadian
    I really think that "termination" in this context refers to the natural end of the contract - the expiry of the contract.

Résiliation refers to termination by one of the parties.

It's not really possible to tell from the sentence alone which is intended, but the first meaning - expiry - is what I would expect to see here. This is a "non-compete clause"? The things the person shall not do involve competing with the other party? In that case it's a standard clause and ordinarily refers to expiry.

malseine

french
    If the intent is to cover both the termination by a party and the possible expiry of the contract, I would just say:
    "Une fois que le contrat aura pris fin, ..."

LivingTree

Banned
    English - Canadian
    I agree with malesine there -- I'd wondered whether one might just say à la fin du contrat, but that's a little too simple, probably. ;)

So I like malseine's proposal.

< Previous | Next >