he/she has been in the news

• PAJAKI

italy, italian
    Direi di sì. Se dovessi tradurre 'Ha fatto notizia' direi però 'She made headline news'.

Forse facendo una traduzione meno letterale si potrebbe anche dire
    E' andata a finire sul giornale.

qwerty93

Italian
    I need to translate this sentence "Certi uomini continuano a far notizia". Can I write "Some men keep on making headlines"?

elfa

English
    I need to translate this sentence "Certi uomini continuano a far notizia". Can I write "Some men keep on making headlines"?

Welcome to the forum qwerty :)

Your translation sounds good. However, it's always helpful to have some context surrounding the sentence, for example, where this phrase appears. As you can imagine, there can be different translations for any given phrase depending on the context. Can you post this up?

qwerty93

Italian
    I'm talking about died writers and their influence. The sentence is "Certi uomini, a oltre centinaia di anni dalla loro scomparsa, continuano a fare notizia."

MR1492

English -USA
    Connie,

I can't speak for our BE and AusE members but the AE colloquial version can be "are still making news." For some reason, we don't always use the article in this phrase.

Phil

joanvillafane

U.S. English
    I see a subtle difference, Connie.
    Still making the news - still appearing in the daily news reports (newspaper, tv, whatever)
    still making news - still important, still doing things that are worthy of knowing.

Is this a real difference? Not sure if other native speakers will agree with me.

Connie Eyeland

Italiano
    Ok, grazie mille, MR! :)
    Deve allora probabilmente trattarsi di una differenza con il BE, perché in questo thread sul medesimo tema London Calling usava l'articolo (vedi suo post #14): http://forum.wordreference.com/showthread.php?t=573
    E anche in rete ho trovato qualche esempio, come questo: http://www.unicef.org/southafrica/SAF_publications_childrendying.pdf

EDIT:
    [JOAN] I see a subtle difference, Connie.
    Still making the news - still appearing in the daily news reports (newspaper, tv, whatever)
    still making news - still important, still doing things that are worthy of knowing.
    Scusa, Joan. Avevo inviato il mio post prima di vedere il tuo.
    Adesso mi è chiara la differenza! Grazie mille!:)

MR1492

English -USA
    Yes, Joan, I agree with you. There is a very subtle difference but I'm not sure that in day-to-day conversation it would be seen. Is it one of those "distinction without a difference" situations?

rino delbello

italian
    Hi All

Regards post 10#, would newsworthy be another synonym, for example if used in '' Yesterday's ceasefire between Israel and Palestine was newsworthy '' ?

elfa

English
    Hi All

Regards post 10#, would newsworthy be another synonym, for example if used in '' Yesterday's ceasefire between Israel and Palestine was newsworthy '' ?
    Hi rino delbello :)
    To me, there is a difference between "newsworthy" and "making the news".
    Your sentence above would mean that the ceasefire was noteworthy, or worthy of being reported, whereas if you said the ceasefire was "making the news", this would mean that it did actually feature in it. As far as I understand it, fare notizia has more in common with this second meaning than the first.

rino delbello

italian
    OK. Thanks a lot elfa :)

Regards post #14, as fare notizia is likely to be translated into '' make news '' and since I've found the phrase '' whatever he does is news '' in a Hazon dictionary, in which '' is news '' has been translated into '' fa notizia '', I would like to know if the phrase '' Yesterday's ceasefire between Israel and Palestine was news '' would be correct in terms of conveying the same meaning as in '' Yesterday's ceasefire between Israel and Palestine made news '' or not.

Last edited by a moderator:

rrose17

Canada, English
    You can’t really say “make/was news” in this context. It would have to be “was in the news” or made the news”.