he should be married

< Previous | Next >

mimi2

vietnam vietnamese
Hi,
“Never advise anyone that he shoud go to war or that he should be married.”
Could you please tell me if it is correct to use “should be married” or should it be “should get married” or "should marry"?
Thanks

• nichec

Chinese(Taiwan)/English(AE)
    After you marry someone or you get married (with someone), you are married, and that becomes a state you are in (well, until you get a divorce, that is)

"Marry" or "get married" is an action that doesn't last long, but "are married" is a state in which we all wish to stay forever (I suppose)

I am not Teddy, so I don't know which is the best, I think they are all good.

mimi2

vietnam vietnamese
    Thank you, nichec for your clear explanation
    Now I know which is the best. I will choose "get married" because I want to be in harmony with the first part "go to war". It is an action, isn't it?
    Thanks again.

se16teddy

English - England
    "Marry" or "get married" is an action that doesn't last long, but "are married" is a state in which we all wish to stay forever (I suppose).
    I agree. In grammatical terms, marry and get married are perfective- they refer to the beginning of the marriage; are married tends to be imperfective- it refers to the continuation of the marriage.

< Previous | Next >