He spoke in a strange <Freudian slip>.

< Previous | Next >

Tenacious Learner

Spanish
Hello teachers,
What's the meaning of '... in a strange Freudian slip'?
In reality they are trying to take you citizens of Catalonia to the real “dead end” of which Mas once spoke in a strange Freudian slip.

Thanks in advance.

• london calling

UK English
    I will take for granted that you know what a Freudian slip is. Mas once spoke of a 'dead end' and in doing so made a Freudian slip (without further context it is impossible to say what the slip was).

Tenacious Learner

Spanish
    I will take for granted that you know what a Freudian slip is. Mas once spoke of a 'dead end' and in doing so made a Freudian slip (without further context it is impossible to say what the slip was).
    Hello,
    Thank you for your reply. A Freudian slip is 'an error in speech or memory'; right?
    This is the whole paragraph.
    Naturally they say the opposite: “We only want to break away from Spain.” From what Spain? The one that also includes Aragon, Valencia and the Balearics? Those responsible for the proposal know what I am telling them is the truth. In reality they are trying to take you citizens of Catalonia to the real “dead end” of which Mas once spoke in a strange Freudian slip.

TL

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    In a Freudian slip, Mas once spoke of a "dead end". By saying those words, he was making a Freudian slip.

I think the original sentence would be better with a comma:
    In reality they are trying to take you citizens of Catalonia to the real “dead end” of which Mas once spoke, in a strange Freudian slip/making a strange Freudian slip.

london calling

UK English
    Veli, that's what I said above (I mean, apart from the comma). TL's problem now seems to be that s/he wants to know what the Freudian slip was: I personally am unable to answer that question, ignorant as I am! ;)

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    Hmm, london, I did read your post but the OP still seems puzzled so I thought I'd try putting it another way.;)

Looking at the thread title, I now see that TL is asking about "Freudian slip" itself - that's a topic that can be found on Wikipedia in both languages. It isn't really a question of English usage.

london calling

UK English
    Hmm, london, I did read your post but the OP still seems puzzled so I thought I'd try putting it another way.;)

Looking at the thread title, I now see that TL is asking about "Freudian slip" itself - that's a topic that can be found on Wikipedia in both languages. It isn't really a question of English usage.
    I posted the link to Wikipedia as well (post 4).;)

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    So you did, lc.:oops::oops: I think I'll just slip off quietly from the thread. (I'd quite like to know what the slip was, if anyone finds out.)

< Previous | Next >