He spoke <in a truckdriverly tone> ?

< Previous | Next >

High on grammar

Farsi
Hello everyone:

Is it possible to create new adjectives by adding the-ly ending to certain words?

Example: He spoke in a truckdriverly tone.
Source: myself

Thanks.

• heypresto

English - England
    Yes, I think so. It's probably not a good idea to do it too often, and they may not always work, but I think this one, in an appropriate context, is pretty good.

Others might have other thoughts . . .

london calling

UK English
    I rather like that.:) Of course, I suppose it all rather depends on how you think they speak (and that may lead to stereotyping,which is not a good thing).

How do you think they speak, HoG? And in what context were you wanting to use it?

High on grammar

Farsi
    I rather like that.:) Of course, I suppose it all rather depends on how you think they speak (and that may lead to stereotyping,which is not a good thing).

How do you think they speak, HoG? And in what context were you wanting to use it?

What I am picturing right now is a truck driver with a hoarse, raspy voice who uses bad grammar.

Myridon

English - US
    Unfortunately, to me it suggests that he speaks like someone using CB lingo. You can make all the words you like if they successfully communicate meaning, but I don't think we all have the same idea of how truck drivers talk. ;)

kentix

English - U.S.
    The idea is good but it needs to be something more specific to work well. I don't think there's one recognized way truck drivers talk.

Nickle Sydney

My biggest issue here is that there’s no guarantee the person will fully understand what you mean. He will envision his own way a truck driver speaks. His impression might be the exact opposite to what you think they speak like. That’s why, as a result, both of you are likely to nod your heads in agreement and in fact completely misunderstand each other. How lovely. The primary idea of any language is to convey a message as clearly as possible.
    I appreciate the creativity though. It’s cool.

sdgraham

USA English
    Is it possible to create new adjectives by adding the-ly ending to certain words?

Example: He spoke in a truckdriverly tone.
    Source: myself
    The answer to the specific question is "yes," as long as the "certain words" are appropriate.
    I never drove trucks for a living, but I owned and operated a truck stop in northeastern Colorado for a couple of years and would never stereotype the "over the road" drivers this way.

< Previous | Next >