he steak and kidney in the saucepan was 'catching on the bottom'.

< Previous | Next >

winklepicker

English (UK)
One for the cooks amongst us:

My wife took great offence this evening when I told her that the steak and kidney in the saucepan was 'catching on the bottom'.

In discussion, it transpired she thought I meant catching fire - but I just meant sticking.

Chambers was on my side (ish), offering catch=catch fire (no flames so obviously not relevant!) and catch=adhere.

What would other foreros think I meant?

• Kevman

USA English
    I also knew what you meant when I read it, but I can see her point, too.
    (I am so not going to take sides on this issue on Valentine's Day! :p)

I think it depends on your interpretation of "bottom": sticking on the bottom of the pan / catching fire on the bottom of the meat.

Ecossaise

English

My wife took great offence this evening when I told her that the steak and kidney in the saucepan was 'catching on the bottom'.

In discussion, it transpired she thought I meant catching fire - but I just meant sticking.

Chambers was on my side (ish), offering catch=catch fire (no flames so obviously not relevant!) and catch=adhere.

It's the term I would have used.

cuchuflete

EEUU-inglés
    Yet another BE/AE distinction?

A yank might (in my wilder lingoistic fantasies?) have thought you meant it was a fattening meal.

Now, if your wife has firey thoughts on Valentines day, all is well with the world.

Chambers did not have to argue with wives then. Again, it is quite clear what you mean but it sounds somehow non-standard.

RocketGirl

Canada, English
    If I get my sleeve caught in the door, it's clearly stuck, not catching fire. However, I rarely hear 'catch' used in the present progressive to mean 'sticking'.

I would have either said that dinner "is caught" on the bottom or that it "is sticking".

Hope that makes sense. As for your sentence, "catching fire" crossed my mind for a split second, but that thought was quickly replaced with "sticking"

< Previous | Next >