...he told me, 'Azreen, I'm in so much pain'.

Karen123456

Malaysia English
He remembers the accident down to every last detail.

Azreen told The New Paper last Wednesday, "I can still hear my brother's voice in my head.

"We were both lying on the road and he told me, 'Azreen, I'm in so much pain'.

"Those were his last words."

In British English, should the full stop after 'pain' be inside the closed inverted comma instead, as the words were spoken by Azreen's brother?

Thanks.

• entangledbank

English - South-East England
    Yes, that's where BrE agrees with AmE punctuation. Only one full stop is used (not the two that are logically possible), and it is put inside the quoted speech.

natkretep

Moderato con anima (English Only)
    English (Singapore/UK), basic Chinese
    Yes, this is the 'logical' punctuation. If you set it as a script, is the full stop there? If it is, it belongs inside.

A: Azreen, I'm in so much pain.
    B: Hang in there.

Parla

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    I can confirm that it's the same in US English. We call those marks quotation marks, by the way, and ours are double:
    "Azreen, I'm in so much pain."

natkretep

Parla, there are already double quotation marks on the outside. Wouldn't you also use single quotation marks for a quotation within a quotation? The newspaper quoted Azreen, who quoted his brother.

Parla

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    Oh, right, Natkretep. I didn't go back and pick up the full sentence. Of course the quote from the survivor has to close, too:
    "We were both lying on the road and he told me, 'Azreen, I'm in so much pain.'"

Of course that's three of those little things in a row—but it would be the same in BE, with the double inside.

natkretep

Parla, the quotation continues on to the next paragraph. The usual convention for multi-paragraph quotations is that each paragraph will receive an open quotation mark at the beginning, but the close quotation mark occurs only at the end of the quotation. Is that different in AmE? For me, therefore, either of the following would work.
    “We were both lying on the road and he told me, ‘Azreen, I'm in so much pain.’

“Those were his last words.”
    ‘We were both lying on the road and he told me, “Azreen, I'm in so much pain.”

‘Those were his last words.’

RM1(SS)

English - US (Midwest)
    Parla, the quotation continues on to the next paragraph. The usual convention for multi-paragraph quotations is that each paragraph will receive an open quotation mark at the beginning, but the close quotation mark only occurs only at the end of the quotation. Is that different in AmE? For me, therefore, either of the following would work.
    :thumbsup:

< Previous | Next >