He treated the media, saccharine and prurient by terms, with studied politeness.

< Previous | Next >
  • Loob

English UK
    I can't see the full article. But I imagine that the sentence should have read ... saccharine and prurient by turns ...

xinyi1356

Chinese
    I can't see the full article. But I imagine that the sentence should have read ... saccharine and prurient by turns ...
    Here is the context,please help me, Thank you

The Swedish Royal Academy of Sciences(which awards an economics prize cheekily
    named after, but not endorsed by, Alfred Nobel) hesitated before it awarded Mr Nash, and two other game theorists, the honour in 1994. He was too mad, too obscure, too risky. In the event, he epitomised courtesy and convention, and thereafter relished his sanity, solvency and further acclaimed mathematical work. He treated the media, saccharine and prurient by terms, with studied politeness. The Oscarnominated Hollywood version of his life,
    “A Beautiful Mind”, was, he said, “helpful” in changing attitudes towards mental illness,
    albeit inaccurate: he had auditory, not visual hallucinations.

Loob

English UK
    As I say, I think "by terms" is a mistake for "by turns", which means alternately.

The basic sentence is "He treated the media (newspapers, TV etc) with studied politeness." Then, in the middle, there's a description of how the media behaved towards him: they were sometimes saccharine-sweet, sometimes prurient.

< Previous | Next >