he treats me as if I was dirt

forgoodorill

Chinese
H, everyone!
I read a book called Pygmalion by Bernard Shaw, but I can't understand a sentence in it:
PICKERIG[gently] What is it you want, my girl?
THE FLOWER GIRL. I want to be a lady in a flower shop stead of selling at the corner of Tottenham Court Road. But they won't take me unless I can talk more genteel. He said he could teach me. Well, here I am ready to pay him--not asking any favor--and he treats as if I was dirt.

What's the meaning of 'he treats me as if I was dirt' in this context, it means 'please help me, you could even treat me as if I was dirt after you take my ask'?

Thanks in advance! :)

• Loob

English UK
    Perhaps you could work it out from the context, forgoodorill: This is what Higgins has just said to Eliza:

HIGGINS [brusquely, recognizing her with unconcealed disappointment, and at once, baby-like, making an intolerable grievance of it] Why, this is the girl I jotted down last night. She's no use: I've got all the records I want of the Lisson Grove lingo; and I'm not going to waste another cylinder on it. [To the girl] Be off with you: I don't want you.​
    .....​
    HIGGINS. Pickering: shall we ask this baggage to sit down or shall we throw her out of the window?​

< Previous | Next >