He walks amongst us, but he is not one of us

< Previous | Next >

mj2332

Italian
Hello,
Got a question that popped in my mind recently which I could not answer to.
In the tv series Lost the character Jack has got some tattoos ( 鷹 击 長 空) which are translated in English with 'He walks amongst us, but he is not one of us' but of course the real tattoos say something completely different, since the actor already had them inked before the show.
So, what would be the real translation for 'He walks amongst us, but he is not one of us'?
Thanks for the attention :)

• Skatinginbc

Mandarin 國語
    Do you need an English translation of his Chinese tattoo? Or do you need a Chinese translation for "He walks among us but is not one of us"? If it is the latter, what interpretation do you hold with regard to that English sentence? Do you mean he is the best among peers (鶴立雞群)? Or do you mean he is a stranger among us (同伍異類)?

mj2332

Italian
    I wanted the correct English-Chinese of the phrase 'He walks amongst us, but he is not one of us'. Apparently the tattoo of the actor is from a Mao poem and it is even written in a mixture of simplified and traditional Chinese (or at least so I read).
    Anyways it can be read in both the meanings you said in the series, but are the translations you gave complete (because I also read that it would need more than 4 ideograms to get translated, but of course I don't know nothing with Chinese) ?
    Thanks for your reply

Skatinginbc

Mandarin 國語
    Please elaborate on your interpretation of that English sentence in question. The clearer the better.
    Please specify your purpose (For example, if you intend to use it for your own tattoo, then I would recommend Classical Chinese translations. If you demand a "correct" or literal translation, you may end up with a wordy, lengthy Modern Chinese translation.)

Last edited:

mj2332

Italian
    I prefer the 'chosen one between his peers' between the interpretation (but as I said, in the series the meaning is ambivalent).

Skatinginbc

Mandarin 國語
    It sounds to me that you want a literal translation of that English sentence. OK, here you go: 他雖與眾同行,但終非吾屬.

Last edited:

mj2332

Italian
    I was just trying to explain myself at my best Ahahaha thank you for your patience. Just out of curiosity, how would the classic Chinese look like?

hx1997

汉语普通话 Chinese - Mandarin
    In case you didn't notice, he/she already gave the Classical Chinese translation: 鶴立雞群.

< Previous | Next >