He was a really warm-hearted person, devoting ...

< Previous | Next >

LQZ

Mandarin
Lei Feng was a really warm-hearted person, devoting his all life to others.
Hi, everyone,:)

The above about a late Chinese hero is from one of my friends. I neither think it is grammatically correct, nor find out why is wrong. Could you clarify it to me? Thanks.

LQZ

• Copyright

American English
    The problem is "devoting his all life to others." It would be better rendered as "devoting his entire life to others."

lablady

English - USA
    The problem is "devoting his all life to others."
    I agree this is the problem spot, and I agree with Copyright's suggestion.

If you want to use the same words as the original but are willing to change the order, another option is to write it as: "devoting all his life to others".

LQZ

Mandarin
    The problem is "devoting his all life to others." It would be better rendered as "devoting his entire life to others."
    ;)Thank you, Copyright and lablady.

I tried to reword the original as the following two:

1 Lei Feng was a really warm-hearted person, who devoted his entire life to others.
    2 Lei Feng was a really warm-hearted person, while he detoved his entire life to others.
    Could you please tell me which one sounds nutural and does't change meaning?

owlman5

English-US
    ;)Thank you, Copyright and lablady.

I tried to reword the original as the following two:

Could you please tell me which one sounds nutural and does't change meaning?
    #1... definitely not #2. And I personally wouldn't use a comma.
    I agree with Copyright that the comma is needless here with this relative clause. The clause tells us something fundamental about the subject and therefore shouldn't be set off with a comma. The comma in relative clauses or phrases should be reserved for those remarks which aren't fundamental to the subject or object being modified. Here are a couple of examples:
    I don't like the man who insulted me.
    Fred, who lives on the corner of Mulberry Street and Vine Avenue, is my friend.

< Previous | Next >