He was about as thriving as travelling basket and mat makers

< Previous | Next >

chong lee

türkçe
Hi,
The quote is from the book "Return of Native".

Reddleman scorns gipsies. But what does
" he was about as thriving as travelling basket and mat makers" mean? I guess it is:
"Reddleman is good in travelling like gipsies". But I could not figure out the structure of the sentence.

Thanks

The reddleman lived like a gipsy; but gipsies he scorned. He was about as thriving as travelling basket and mat makers; but he had nothing to do with them.

• Antoine Meyer

English - Canada
    It seems to mean "He was about as thriving as people who regularly travel making baskets and mats (probably as their job)" or "He was about as thriving as people who make baskets and mats, probably as their job, and are travelling."

JustKate

The sentences are basically saying that although his life is in most essentials exactly like that of gypsies and people who make their living making baskets and mats, he considers himself fundamentally different from them. He considers himself better than them, and he doesn't interact with them. Does that answer your question?

chong lee

türkçe
    I got it.
    The omitted words really make it hard for me. In that instance , lacking of the words "people who" -as Antoine indicated- confused me totally. I really appreciate some piece of information which teaches to detect these omitted words.

Thanks again.

london calling

UK English
    Chong Lee, there are no omitted words. A basket maker or a mat maker is obviously 'a person who' makes baskets or mats, there is no need to specify it. Antoine said that to make the meaning clearer, but the sentence as it stands works.

< Previous | Next >