he was connected to his home' s call minder

Alex Coseff

Czech
Hello,

please, could you tell what exactly was Constable Musteile connected to..?
His HOME voice mail...? I'm afraid it doesn't make much sense to me...
I would be grateful if someone could throw some light on that:)

Many thanks:)
Alexa

Background info: Constable Musteile is not (at all) popular among his fellows, he is the so called "Mr. Know-all" ...
He has just arrived at the scene of crime and considers himself indispensable in the murder investigation.

G.M.Malliet: Wicked autumn
" Musteile, after first propping up his bike, pulled a mobile phone from his hip pocket, viciously punched in a few numbers, and, forgetting to announce himself (he was connected to his home's call minder), barked a couple of "Right"s and "Will do"s into the device, concluding with, "Roger that. I'm on it. Over." He flipped the phone shut with a practiced, one-handed flick of the wrist and swaggered toward the Village Hall, where he was promptly curtailed by an enormous, immovable constable from Monslip-super-Mare.."

• owlman5

English-US
    "Call minder" looks like another term for "answering machine". I've never heard it over here. Maybe British members will recognize it.

Loob

English UK
    Erm (I'm out of my comfort zone here:eek:) ... as I understand it, "call minder" is a service from one of the UK's telephone providers - BT/British Telecom - which is, in effect, a substitute for an answerphone.

I don't know why Ms Malliet refers to "his home's call minder": it seems rather strange to me:(. But yes, I think that if you're looking for a term to translate into Czech, then 'answerphone'/'answering machine' would fit the bill, Alex:).

owlman5

English-US
    Erm (I'm out of my comfort zone here:eek:) ... as I understand it, "call minder" is a service from one of the UK's telephone providers - BT/British Telecom - which is, in effect, a substitute for an answerphone.

I don't know why Ms Malliet refers to "his home's call minder": it seems rather strange to me:(. But yes, I think that if you're looking for a term to translate into Czech, then 'answerphone'/'answering machine' would fit the bill, Alex:).
    Thanks for the update, Loob. I believe you even if you are out of your comfort zone.

< Previous | Next >