He wasn't very enthusiastic.

EnglishBug

Chinese
My toddler son always like play in the basement. Yesterday, I took him downstairs, but he wasn't as interested as he used to be. It turned out later that he caught a cold. I am wondering how to say that he wasn't very excited. Do the following sentences sound OK? Thanks.

"I took my son downstairs last night, where he always liked to play, but he wasn't as excited as he usually was."
"I took my son downstairs last night, where he always liked to play, but he wasn't enthusiastic."
"I took my son downstairs last night, where he always liked to play, but he wasn't very interested."

• owlman5

English-US
    Do the following sentences sound OK? Thanks.

"I took my son downstairs last night, where he always liked to play, but he wasn't as excited as he usually was."
    "I took my son downstairs last night, where he always liked to play, but he wasn't enthusiastic."
    "I took my son downstairs last night, where he always liked to play, but he wasn't very interested."
    :thumbsup: All of these sentences sound normal, EnglishBug.

lingobingo

English - England
    Your use of “liked” sounds wrong when talking about a current/temporary situation. I’m sure he hasn’t stopped liking it altogether, so it would be better as “where he usually likes to play”.

Otherwise, they’re all OK if you address what heypresto has said. Simply changing the ending to “[as excited] as usual” would fix it.

< Previous | Next >