He watches/is watching TV all day

Phoebe1200

Russian-Russia
Greetings.

I'd be grateful if you could tell me which tense to use for this kind of sentence.

e.g. He watches TV all day. / He's watching TV all day.

• Loob

English UK
    He watches TV all day. - habit.
    He's watching TV all day. - temporary habit.

Phoebe1200

Russian-Russia
    Thank you, Loob.
    I was unsure because I had this use of present continuous in mind: (The Present Continuous with words such as "always" or "constantly" expresses the idea that something irritating or shocking often happens. e.g. She is always coming to class late.)

I meant to use the present continuous sentence implying some sort of irritation or worrisome, that the person does it all the time, but I don't know if that use of present continuous can only be used with the words "always" and "constantly".
    Hope you get what I'm asking.

Phoebe1200

Russian-Russia
    (The Present Continuous with words such as "always" or "constantly" expresses the idea that something irritating or shocking often happens. e.g. She is always coming to class late.)

Does this rule include only the words "always" and "constantly" and no others?
    Can I use "all day" with present continuous in the same way?

pickarooney

English (Ireland)
    If you just say "he's always watching TV" does that not get the point across? There'd be no need to specify 'all day' as it's implied by always.
    Otherwise "he just watches TV all day" might better get across the irritation.

I would say "he is always watching TV all day" sounds clunky.

< Previous | Next >