He who laughs last laughs longest

< Previous | Next >

Garbuz

Russian
I'd like to ask you to confirm the last word in this proverb. Is it only 'longest' or could it also be 'longer' or 'long'?

Thanks in advance.

• Pertinax

BrE->AuE
    I've always used "longest". I suppose with two parties you could use "longer" but I have never heard that.

I'm not sure how far back it goes, but there is a reference in the London Magazine of 1763 to the common proverb "He that laughs last, laughs longest."

PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    ["He who laughs last laughs loudest"] In my usage it is.
    :eek: This is truly regional; in my region of Derby (Chaddesden) it is, "He who laughs last laughs longest."

Whatever adjective though, as the saying is a generality and thus "he" is a general reference to "anyone", it will always be the superlative.

sound shift

English - England
    :eek: This is truly regional; in my region of Derby (Chaddesden) it is, "He who laughs last laughs longest."
    It could well be regional, as I am not originally from Derby , mi duck, let alone Chaddo. :D Actually, I might use your version too. At all events, the last word of the proverb has to be a superlative, not a comparative or a bare adjective, as you and others have implied.

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >