he will <act> as chair for the council

LaSonia

Spanish-English Dominican Republic
I need to write an announcement for the new chairman of the council for an organization. Would you say he will act as chair for the council through the end of 2009 or is there a different word for this? Thanks

• kitenok

Hi LaSonia,
    I would probably say something like "he will hold the position of chair... through the end of 2009."
    "Act as chair" might be ambiguous, since this verb is also used to talk about someone who does not officially hold the position, but performs the work for some reason anyway. For example, "Kitenok was supposed to be chair, but he got hit by a dumptruck, so LaSonia will act as chair until the end of 2009."

sdgraham

USA English
    Once upon a time, the words chairman or charwoman were used. Then, as political correctness took over, "chairperson" came into use. Now, we see "chair" when referencing a person.

Since it's a question of style, you will not find unanimity on the subject.

Now, are you talking about someone who holds the title or who is just "acting" and doesn't have the formal title?

LaSonia

Spanish-English Dominican Republic
    He holds the title. THe council names a new international chairperson every year who carries out the duties of the organization

kitenok

LaSonia, I stand by my original answer in post 2. As explained there, and as sdgraham hinted in the question at the end of his post, there is often a difference between "acting as chair" and "holding the position/title of chair." What you want is something like "he will hold the position of chair."

< Previous | Next >