He will be the best man at / in my wedding.

< Previous | Next >

nomecunde

spanish-Spain
I need your help with prepositions:
- He will be the best man at my wedding
- He will be the best man in my wedding
The wedding is a non- religious ceremony, so I have doubts about the expression "best man" too.
Thank you.

Last edited:
  • L_Stetson

English - American
    Ambos son correctos, en mi opinión, pero el segundo sería mejor. Porque de ser testigo, él es una parte de la ceremonia, así que va a participar "in the wedding."

Y he visto que aquí todavía se usa el nombre tradicional "best man" en muchas bodas que no son religiosas.

Saludos (y tal vez felicidades en tu boda)

Bevj

Allegra Moderata (Sp/Eng, Cat)
    English (U.K.)
    I would always say 'at my wedding', never 'in my wedding'.
    I'm not sure about the use of best man, though if the person in question is a male witness chosen by the bridegroom, then I don't see why it should be wrong.

nomecunde

spanish-Spain
    Yes, the witness is a man, so I guess best man would be correct. About "in my wedding"or "at my wedding" your answers are contradictory...., any other native opinion?
    ( y gracias L_Stetson por las felicitaciones :D)
    Thank you

L_Stetson

English - American
    It's possibly a regional difference then, since to me both "at" and "in" generally seem fine. The guests are "at" the wedding, while the best man, groomsmen, bridesmaids, etc. are "in" the wedding, participating in the wedding ceremony or being in/part of the wedding party. "I'm going to be at the wedding" and "I'm going to be in the wedding" mean substantially different things when I hear them, as spectator versus participant.

Really though, they're close enough you can probably use either preposition in this case and context will convey the meaning just fine, so if I'm the only one saying "in" feel free to ignore me!

Wandering JJ

British English
    I agree with L_Stetson's explanation. 'At' is OK. 'In' is better.
    Hi Neal,
    I'm talking only of British/European English in which we would always use "at" in this context, and recommending that the OP use "at" as this is where he/she lives. If Americans want to say "in my wedding", I have no objection at all and can appreciate the nuance in using "in" rather than "at" for active participants, even though I have never heard it used this side of the pond.

nomecunde

spanish-Spain
    Well, thank you very much for your answers. I see that where the wedding is celebrated is important when choosing between "at" or "in" o_O. I'm going to stick with "at" because the receptor of my message is British. :thumbsup:

< Previous | Next >