he withdrew his own

< Previous | Next >

jokker

Chinese/Taiwan
"Which do you mean?'' and turning round, he looked for a moment at Elizabeth, till catching her eye*, he withdrew his own and coldly said, "She is tolerable; but not handsome enough to tempt me; and I am in no humour at present to give consequence to..." --Pride and Prejudice

What does "he withdrew his own" mean?
This he is Mr. Darcy. Does "he withdrew his own" mean he withdrew his body, i.e. he stepped back at the moment when his eyes cought her eyes? (If this is true, then...Mr. Darcy was actually tempted by Elizabeth:D , to be more precisely, her eyes.)

*eye--Shouldn't it be two eyes??

• maxiogee

Banned
    English
    Not necessarily two eyes.
    Have you never looked at someone slyly, out of the corner of your eye?
    Or, looking at them in such a way as to appear to be looking elsewhere, caught their eye upon you?

jokker

Chinese/Taiwan
    maxiogee said:
    Not necessarily two eyes.
    Have you never looked at someone slyly, out of the corner of your eye?
    Or, looking at them in such a way as to appear to be looking elsewhere, caught their eye upon you?
    :rolleyes: .........................:D .....................Now I understand.:cool: And Pride and Prejudice is not only words for me any more. The pictures are begining to show up.:) Thank you! maxiogee.

As for "he withdrew his own" part, does it mean Mr. Darcy stepped back? Dose "His own" refer to "his body" or something else?

maxiogee

Banned
    English
    No, I think it means he withdrew his eye from her - he was the first to look away. The "own" is reflexive to the mention of her "eye".

--edit--
    NB
    You are saving me the trouble of reading this book for myself :D. Soon I'll be able to drop quotes from it at parties and people will think I am a well-read gentleman.
    Keep it up, and hurry on to the end. There are a few works by Dickens I'm anxious to have someone read for me. ;)

jokker

Chinese/Taiwan
    maxiogee said:
    No, I think it means he withdrew his eye from her - he was the first to look away. The "own" is reflexive to the mention of her "eye".
    I see. Thank you.:)

You are saving me the trouble of reading this book for myself :D.
    Thank you for saying so. And thank you for teaching me to see the pictures through the words.:)
    Soon I'll be able to drop quotes from it at parties and people will think I am a well-read gentleman.
    Then, it will take you a very long time to become a well-read gentleman. Because I am unable to read fast for my not good English and I only read a little each day. Thank you, maxiogee, well-read gentleman to be.
    Keep it up, and hurry on to the end. There are a few works by Dickens I'm anxious to have someone read for me. ;)
    This is obviously a manifest implication.:D

< Previous | Next >