He (work) on his book for sometime and (finish) it at last

< Previous | Next >

CrazyDiamond

"French-Arabic"
Hello! I'm having trouble with this sentence. I can't find the correct combination of tenses, or at least not all of them:

He (work) on his book for sometime and (finish) it at last.

Here are my trials:

He had been working/had worked hard on his book for sometime and finished it at last.

Is it possible to say: He has worked hard in his bookfor sometime and has finished at last?
or He worked hard on his book for sometime and finished it/has finished it at last?

I'm quite lost...
Thanks a lot for your help.

• sp4rk13

UK
    English - USA & UK
    It depends on when he was working, and when he finished.

(1)
    He has worked hard on his book for some time and has finished it at last
    = He has been working hard on his book for some time and has finished it at last.
    (Suitable if he has finished now or very recently.)

(2)
    He had been working hard on his book for some time and had finished it at last.
    (Suitable you are talking about the time when he finished the book, and he finished the book a while ago. Everything occurred in the past.)

(1) sounds more like you would use it in a conversation, whereas (2) sounds more like you would read it in a book. This is because (1) refers to the present and (2) refers to the past. However, of course, it depends on your situation.

I hope this is helpful :)

CrazyDiamond

"French-Arabic"
    Thank you very much for your reply. Do you think we can use a past tense with "at last"? Isn't it linked to the present?

There is no context for this sentence. It's part of an exercise where you have to find the correct tenses.

Thanks again

Last edited:

JamesM

It's also possible to write (at least in American English):

"He worked hard on his book for some time and finished it at last."

As a side note, "some time" is correct in this sentence, but "sometime" is not. "Some time" means "for a (long) period of time". Click on the word for the definition of sometime.

< Previous | Next >