He would be a smothering cloak

stupidascimmia

Italian
Hello everybody.
I'm trying to translate the quoted sentence (from Patti Smith's biography) in Italian but I've some difficulties in understanding it, and the Italian-English forum cannot help me, neither the poetical context.

Talking about her dying friend, she said:
He would be a smothering cloak, a velvet petal.

In this case is "would" used as a kind of past tense of "will" or "going to"? Or in this case is "would" meant to work as a synonym of "used to"? Maybe she is telling us about an "habitual past behaviour" of her dying friend: he felt in that way more than once... :confused:

many thanks
a.

• Loob

English UK
    Could you give us some more context, please, stupidascimmia?

What are the sentences immmediately before and after this (up to a maximum of 4 sentences in all)? What's happening at this part of the story?

PS: Welcome to the forums:)

stupidascimmia

Italian
    the paragraph begins with the quoted sentence. here it is:

"He would be a smothering cloak, a velvet petal. It was not the thought, but the shape of the thought that tormented him. It entered him like a horrific spirit and caused his heart to pound so hard, so irregularly, that his skin vibrated and he felt as if he were beneath a lurid mask, sensual but suffocating."

many thanks

stupidascimmia

Italian
    ops. :eek:
    I've forgotten to say that at this point of the story her friend (Robert Mapplethorpe) is dying of AIDS.

(thanks for the welcoming!!)

Loob

English UK
    Thanks, ascimmia:) (I'm sure you're not stupid <eek>!)

So it's the dying friend talking, and picturing his death - is that right?

If so, it seems pretty clear that "would" here is a "future in the past": what he's actually saying to himself, in direct speech, is "I will be a smothering cloak, a velvet petal".

stupidascimmia

Italian
    thank you much Loob

I'm not sure it's the dying friend talking, here. (but I'm a stupidASCIMMIA!)

But the most important question for me is whether or not that "would" can express a past habit. Was he already feeling like a smothering cloak, a velvet petal? (If not, I'm not having trouble with the translation.)

Loob

English UK
    I'm as sure as I can be without more context that this is "future in the past", for two reasons.

First, it looks very much, whether or not it's the friend speaking/thinking, as if the speaker/thinker is picturing the future.
    So:
    She said/thought "He will be a smothering cloak, a velvet petal" or
    He said/thought "I will be a smothering cloak, a velvet petal"
    >
    [(s)he said/thought that] he would be a smothering cloak, a velvet petal.

Secondly, whenever you use "would" to refer to habitual action in the past, you always need an explicit time reference (eg when I was young, I would climb trees with my brothers). You haven't got one here.

< Previous | Next >