head over

minhduc

vietnamese
Hi all, please tell me the meaning of "head over".

In this context they are playing billiards.

“We’re just about to start a game,” Scott said. “Fifty dollars and you’re in. Grab a cue.”
But before I could head over to the rack, a short man in wire glasses and a sweater vest came up beside Scott.

Thanks

• sdgraham

USA English
    "Head over" means to move in the direction of.

Ships, for example, move by compass "headings," i.e. directions on a compass and I suspect that's the source of the expression.

fdk47

Tagalog
    Hi, I want to learn different ways to use “head over.”

I think I can say “Let's head over to the beach.” as in “Let's go to the beach.”

Can I say “How about headding over to the beach?” to make a suggestion to go to the beach?

Thank you.

Parla

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    Can I say “How about headding heading over to the beach?” to make a suggestion to go to the beach?
    If the beach is a short distance from where you are, yes. If you have to travel for a while to get there, no. (In the example you quoted, remember, the speaker was just walking across the room.) It's the "over" part that suggests the short distance.

pops91710

English, AE
    If the beach is a short distance from where you are, yes. If you have to travel for a while to get there, no. (In the example you quoted, remember, the speaker was just walking across the room.) It's the "over" part that suggests the short distance.
    Yes. Proximity makes all the difference.

Susan Y

British English
    I disagree that "head over" has any connotation of proximity. I live in Australia and it is quite natural for me to say "We're heading over to England next week" - and that's just about as far as you can go!

< Previous | Next >