headline GDP

flowersophy

Chinese-China
Hi,

The most common refrain aimed at GDP is that it tells us little about our overall or individual economic welfare. For example, headline GDP numbers are often quoted as indicating whether a country is growing and by how much. But should our total output increase at the same rate as our population, there is likely to be no resultant rise in our material well-being.
(Quoted from http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/economics/11159277/What-does-GDP-really-tell-us-about-economic-growth.html)

I am not sure what "headline GDP" means in the context or what the definition of "headline GDP" is.

Many thanks!

• dojibear

English - Northeast US
    There are many different ways that different experts calculate GDP. They end up with different numbers.

One of these methods is chosen (by the government) as the one used to calculate "GDP numbers" they send to all the newspapers. Those numbers the government sends the newspapers are called "headline GDP numbers".

This may not be the most accurate calculation. It may be chosen to show the public (through newspapers) because it makes the government look good.

flowersophy

Chinese-China
    One of these methods is chosen (by the government) as the one used to calculate "GDP numbers" they send to all the newspapers. Those numbers the government sends the newspapers are called "headline GDP numbers".
    I surfed some China's websites, "headline" of "headline GDP numbers" is translated into Chinese "bei shou guan zhu" meaning "GDP numbers in the limelight". I don't think it's a correct translation.

< Previous | Next >