headline-making

reka

slovenian
Hello,

could you help me understand what the exact meaning of "headline-making" is?

I have this sentence: "Journalists reporting on "recent scientific truths" should at least occasionally admit that "statistical truths" and the headline-making generalizations derived from them may in fact have very little accuracy when applied to individual lives."

So, these "headline-making generalizations" appear in the headlines? Or does this expression simply mean that the newspapers are full of these generalizations?

How do you understand this, please?

Thanks a lot in advance!

• Copyright

American English
    I understand it literally... the generalizations make the headlines -- and therefore the lead stories -- and sell the publications.

entangledbank

English - South-East England
    Really, 'headline-making' is used to mean "very important; very prominent". You read of headling-making business deals, for example: it just means one big enough that it would have been the headline of a story at some time.

cuchuflete

EEUU-inglés
    There is, perhaps, a bit more to this in the context you have given. Like Copyright and entangledbank, I take headline-making literally, but in this context it is also somewhat disparaging. There is an implication here of scandalous, thus newsworthy. The implied contrast is with something more objective, restrained, and dully scientific.

reka

slovenian
    Thanks for the answers!

Yes, in fact, I was thinking, maybe the meaning is more like "sensational" and not literally "which comes in the headline of an article"...does this make sense?

Copyright

American English
    I agree with the scandalous and sensational conclusions... I was barely hinting at it with my comment of "sell the publications."

< Previous | Next >