hear from in the meaning to reprimand

Annakrutitskaya

Russian
Hello!

Is 'hear from' used in the sense of reprimanding someone for something, or is it old-fashioned?
For example. If you don't do your homework, you will hear from your father.

Thank you!

• Barque

Tamil
    That's one of the senses that it can be used in. It can also be used literally. I heard from him after a long time.

e2efour

UK English
    It means what it says -- some form of communication by phone, letter, personal visit etc.
    This expression can be used when a reprimand is threatened by the speaker.
    But the phrase you will hear from us in a week's time means that we will be getting in touch with you then.

(cross-posted)

Annakrutitskaya

Russian
    It means what it says -- some form of communication by phone, letter, personal visit etc.
    This expression can be used when a reprimand is threatened by the speaker.
    But the phrase you will hear from us in a week's time means that we will be getting in touch with you then.

(cross-posted)
    Seems I have not stated my question correctly. I understand and know the straightforward meaning.
    I merely wanted to find out if hear from is still used in the sense of reprimand, or if it is old-fashioned.
    Thank you!

entangledbank

English - South-East England
    Yes, I don't think it ever means that. It's an implication, as with 'if I ever catch you' or 'we'll see what he has to say about it'.

Loob

English UK
    I also think that implication would be fairly unlikely in your post 1 sentence, Annakrutitskaya. Unless, perhaps, the father was living some distance away.

e2efour

UK English
    What is interesting is that the OED and AHD give the meaning of reprimand.
    The OED has the curious phrase "Also, (pregnantly) to receive a reprimand from".

The AHD treats hear from as a phrasal verb, meaning to reprimand.

Annakrutitskaya

Russian
    Thank you Everyone for your explanations. I hope to find some examples that will help me to learn the correct way to use this phrasal verb.

< Previous | Next >