hearty eater

< Previous | Next >

Artrella

Banned
BA
Spanish-Argentina
Does this thing exist or is it an invention of my teacher? I've looked up "eater" and "hearty" but I found "eater"= Br "apple" and "hearty" collocating with "appetite". I couldn't find an example similar to this I invented "I'm a hearty eater so I always go to an all-you-can-eat restaurant"

Art :confused:

• VenusEnvy

English, United States
    Artrella said:
    I couldn't find an example similar to this I invented "I'm a hearty eater so I always go to an all-you-can-eat restaurant"
    Your example is great.

Another expression: He has a hearty laugh.
    This means that his laugh is full, deep, or abundant.

dave

UK - English
    Yep, it does exist (for once teach is right!).

An eater is, funnily enough, someone who eats.

A hearty eater is someone who likes his food and has a good appetite. Hearty is often used in the expression hearty appetite.

Artrella

Banned
    BA
    Spanish-Argentina

Daaveee! I know an eater is sb who eats, but you know I try to learn all the possible meanings, and I found this in the OXFORD DICT 2*Brit. informal an eating apple. By the way........WHAT IS AN EATING APPLE????????????????????

dave

UK - English
    Artrella said:

Daaveee! I know an eater is sb who eats, but you know I try to learn all the possible meanings, and I found this in the OXFORD DICT 2*Brit. informal an eating apple. By the way........WHAT IS AN EATING APPLE????????????????????
    An eating apple (an eater) contrasts with a cooking apple (a cooker).

Cooking apples are too sour to be eaten raw, so they need to be cooked up with sugar to make a nice apple pie or stewed apples with custard (a British favourite)!

A: Ooh, what a big apple tree you've got in your garden. Is it an eater or a cooker?
    B: A cooker - the freezer's full of apple pie!

Artrella

Banned
    BA
    Spanish-Argentina
    dave said:
    An eating apple (an eater) contrasts with a cooking apple (a cooker).

Thanks for the clarification, no APPLE then! And I thought an eater was an apple, my God!
    Adieu, Art. :eek:

Frank F

English
    This is an old thread, but it occurs to me that the use of "hearty" to describe an eater is less apt than "hardy".

The adjective hardy (related to hard) means daring, courageous, and capable of surviving difficult conditions. The adjective hearty (related to heart) means showing warm and heartfelt affection or providing abundant nourishment.

A meal can be hearty, or an appetite, but surely not a person or an eater. I suggest that a hardy (tough, hungry, able to dig in to a meal) eater would look forward to a hearty (nourishing, calorie-rich) lasagna.

Frank

Copyright

American English
    You can certainly create a new collocation for hardy eater -- and I'm free to build on that with tardy eater, and together we can create a tardy hardy eater (not to mention an extension into light eaters with a hardly eater) ... but I think the question is whether or not hearty eater is alive and well and living well-fed in the wild.

If you use our in context feature and check for these terms from 1990 to 1999, for example, you'll find these results:

hearty eater: About 27 results
    hardy eater: No results

Welcome to the forum. :)

< Previous | Next >