heat wave OR heatwave

< Previous | Next >


Senior Member

What's your preference when it comes to the way you write the word "heat wave"?
Do you write it as two separate words or just one?

Thank you!

Audio and AudioJnr
  • Loob

    Senior Member
    English UK
    One, I think.

    Or maybe two. Or maybe with a hyphen.

    No, definitely one. I think.


    Senior Member
    English (UK then US)
    I'm also mostly ambivalent, slightly preferring the two-word form.

    It's good you didn't offer the hyphenated version
    OED 1878 Heat-wave : One of those vibrations of the ether :eek: that produce heating effects.


    New Member
    If I were talking about the weather event, I would use one word.

    In most other cases I would use the 2 word version.


    Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    Look at the "in context" examples of heatwave and heat-wave.
    It looks as if BE prefers heatwave, but other E-versions are more likely to use the hyphenated form.

    For os(numbers) examples, I would be a lot more likely to talk about a "wave of heat".
    < Previous | Next >